Thursday, July 20, 2006

Day 70: Koh Phi Phi, I love thee

I guess we just can't get enough of the island life here in Thailand. Yesterday we travelled over to Koh Phi Phi which is in the gulf between Phuket and the mainland. (I know that technically Phuket is an island too but it's too big to have the "island" atmosphere) The first thing I must say about this place...it is BEAUTIFUL.

Our original plan was to only stay here a day or two on our way to Krabi but things have definitely changed. This place has amazing beaches, great food, and we can't really beat the accomodation. We're in a guest house, not a bungalow, with AC for only 600 baht per night. That plus we get a deal on the internet useage on the main floor. Since Koh Phi Phi is a good base for so many activities we're thinking of just camping out here for a week or more and packing the days with as much as we can.

THE FOOD: I'm reminded of our good fortune on Koh Tao with the menus here. There is a lot of variety, low prices, and even a couple all-you-can-eat places. We found a pretty good sandwich and donut place as soon as we arrived yesterday, as well as a great bar last night selling 2-for-1 whiskey buckets.

THE BEACH: The sand here is nice and the water is so warm but, unfortunately, there is a lot of little garbage that washes up from the water. I think they must clean the beaches almost everyday so we think this might still be debris that was carried out when the tsunami hit a year and a half ago. Yes, this is one of the places that was hardest hit.

THE VIEW: A big rain kept us indoors this morning (so we ate lunch and watched The Patriot...yeah, the whole thing) but once it let up a bit we made the hike up the mountain to the view point. A lot of stairs but easily worth it. The view is incredible and I just wish I had a better quality camera to capture it properly.

THE ACTIVITIES: Over the next few days we're going to do a LOT. Tomorrow is our climbing and cliff jumping tour. After that we haven't decided to much but there will be some snorkeling, more climbing, maybe some monkeys, and a trip to Maya Beach (which is where they filmed the DeCaprio movie "The Beach"). Yeah, we're going to need our rest. Sadly boogie boarding will not be part of our stay. We brought them with us all the way from Patong but they don't have much for waves here. So, instead I'll just include a few good pictures from our last boarding adventure.



7 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey dudes,

sounds like you guys are having a blast.

Mike, did you get my email? I would like to order a suit or two if I could, so let me know if you still have time to do that for me.
Thanks buddy.

Dan

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks very nice,take it easy on those cliffs.Mac T. signed but Peca's gone.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey guys!!
aghhhhhhhh your making me so jealous to hear that phi phi is so beautiful and so amazing...when we just didnt have the time to get there...oh well next trip i suppose! looking forward to seeing the pics from maya beach.
btw it sucks going home....just so ye are warned!missing thailand so much :( take care
Marie

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I just wanted to point out that we really appreciate the comments we get from everyone. It makes putting the time into our entries so much easier. So...keep it up.

Marie, it'll be a day or two before we get to Maya. Will definitely take a lot of pictures.

Dad P, we always take it easy. No worries.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, Nevin, Lucas......in turn I would like to say, keep up the good work with this blog site. I like the map feature and the appropriate photos that go with the stories. We have let various friends in on the site and they find it quite interesting. Especially those planning an upcoming trip to Thailand, e.g., Ellards. I have tried to print out a blog, but it keeps getting cut into two pieces instead of printing as a page. I will chalk that to my inexperience with the blog software and will wait for your return to set me straight. Weather is hot back here with temperatures in the low 30's. Things are starting to really dry out. Here is hoping it doesn't stay dry for too long and wreck what should be fantastic crops. Just getting back into the home mode after being on our own short holiday, but will continue to stay in contact. Take care

 
At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you guys know, pretty much all the bars on that island are 2 for 1 buckets, so don't just stick to that one bar you found! Hippy Bar, Apache Bar, and the irish pub (Jordan's??) were our favorites.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Lucas & Angela said...

Hey Elise,

yeah, we already hit Apache and Hippies a couple times. Both pretty sweet. The guy singing at Hippies is pretty damn amazing, so we're going back there tonight.

As far as beer at home, I think I'm gonna be more excited to see a bottle of Kokanee than Singha, but I'm sure I'll probably grab one some time.

Hope everyone's surviving well at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home