Friday, June 16, 2006

Day 36: Ko Tao and Diving




I know we haven't posted in quite a while, so I'll just give a quick update right now. Two days after the full moon party, we took a boat taxi over to bottle beach on Ko Pha Ngan. This was a generator run beach that only had power at certain hours of the day, and internet was 5 Baht a minute, so we didn't get a chance to get on and write another post. Stayed there for three days, and actually upon arrival met three wicked Canadian girls. Upon further conversation, turns out that they're actually from St. Albert, which was quite surprising. Talked to them for a while and ended up staying at the same resort that we were.

Spent a whole day on the beach hanging out and having a really good time. The subject comes up that they actually ran into some other people from St. Albert at Hat Rin before the full moon party. They give a name, and it turns out to be none other than Steve Jackson. I know that most of you besides my friends don't actually know anything about him, but it's a guy that I went to Kindergarten and high school with. Hung out with him a bit, and realized that for some people, High School is a life long adventure that they just don't get past.

Dad, above and to the right is the picture I mentioned in the comments section so you can show Grandma
We spent the next three days at this relatively secluded beach playing loads of frisbee, and basically just relaxing. All in all, it was a great experience, and I think I would go back at the drop of a hat. Again we got a beach bungalow for $15 a night with another fantastic view, and we bought a hammock, so we could waste away the hours lying around reading and relaxing.

Being the rock hopper that I am, I spent a lot of time with one of the girls exploring all the rocks that shoulder the beach. Mike and Nevin were pretty pleased to sit around and read, but I was in a more adventurous mood.

This morning, we took a ferry to Ko Tao, an island renowned for it's amazing scuba diving, and wouldn't ya know it, we're all now magically signed up to become PADI certified scuba divers. (Mom, Dad, may need to get that loan before planned.) Instruction starts tonight, and our first session is tomorrow during the day. It sounds like we get five or six dives, all at different depths, and the company that we are going with sounds great.

Right now I'm trying to download Skype on this computer so I can phone Mr. Tenove. Turns out Mike isn't feeling good at all, so he and Nevin are down at the clinic right now trying to figure out what's up. From the symptoms that I've seen, it looks like a pretty weird fever, but I'm sure he'll be kicking again in no time at all.

We're all doing great and still absolutely loving it over here. Mike's a bit choked because he worries that he may not be able to do the scuba, but we'll wait here as long as we have to so we can all get it. Everything is good over here, and I hope that everything is fantastic at home. We will phone all of you when we get the chance, and you'll see some pictures of our more than fantastic tans right away.

10 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger Lucas & Angela said...

Figured out a bit of the Mike situation. His fever is 39, so they're gonna keep him overnight and see what's going on there. We're gonna hold off on the diving for a while until he's better, so it's just beach lounging for a while, which I'm not gonna complain about.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds awesome boys. oil are still gonna do it and im going to the game. SO PUMPED. anyhow keep up the good work. get better soon mike.

Rocky

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep us posted on mike's fever

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mike! You pick awful times to get sick and end up in the hospital. Lets say you were working full time and things were slow and work was pretty dull, that would be an ok time, but this... just not good planning I'd say. I thought you were the planning type. I was sadly mistaken I see.
Hope you feel better soon! There's an ocean out there waiting for you! (Yes, I'm jealous of that too... It's a feeling I'm becoming rather used to in regards to you boys)
Have fun and don't get sick anymore!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Lucas & Angela said...

Another update on Mike.

His fever is down to 38 and he's already starting to feel a lot better. His body is aching a bit, but overall, he's doing tonnes better than he was earlier today.

We'll keep you posted on any new developements, but so far it's looking like everything is clear.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Lucas & Angela said...

Oh, another thing I forgot to add. Elise, one of the afformentioned St. Albert girls, actually works at the Youville home where my Grandma lives. (Small world???? I think so!) So we took a new picture for Grandma's wall Mom and Dad.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We seemed to be slightly incapacitated last Sunday, so we would now like to wish Ken, Neil, and John a Happy Fathers Day. (We'll try to get you some nice presents)

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the fathers day wish but you seem to be still slightly incapacitated.. fathers day is this sunday the 18th. thanks for the call we were just out for a second.keep on the mend mike

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike..look on the bright side, you just expanded your immune system. Nice thought about Father's Day, but it looks like you guys have the bends and it is not from diving too deep. Maybe the bottle?? Glad to see things are working out for Mike..we are rooting for him to get well and join the divers! Continues to rain in Edmonchuk. Oil are getting hot and ready to burn a little hurricane. With reference to batteries, I thought you had a power adapter for charging? I hope the picture issue gets resolved because the shots have been great. Take care.....and if you can grab a shot of a crowd cheering the Oilers on and send it into the Edmonton Journal and other local papers, maybe even CBC Edmonton. Enjoy, take care and play safe.......

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Lucas & Angela said...

Dad,

I would take that picture of people cheering on the Oilers, but it would be kind of boring. No games to watch, only 630 ched. I think we're the only ones to grit it out and listen on the radio. camera is all charged now, just couldnt get to an outlet before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home