Day 75: Maya Beach, and, once again.... risking our lives!
I guess it's my time to make another post. I don't know why, but I seem to get all the exciting posts. Doesn't bother me at all though, it tends to fit my writing style.First off, this won't apply to the parents probably, but the rest of you have probably seen a movie called the beach, starring a dashing young Leonardo DiCaprio on an idyllic island paradise. Well.... the beach where that was filmed, was where our day trip took us. It was absolutely breathtaking.
First off, we had to swim into an opening in the rocks that looked like it was leading to absolutely nowhere. After we were through, there was a white sand path that led onto... Maya beach. This place is absolutely beautiful. It was a bit too windy for us to have our usual frisbee match, but all in all, it was amazing. The beach isn't actually on the main island of Ko Phi Phi Don, but over on a marine park, Ko Phi Phi Leh. The pictures are from the beach, as well as the white sand path leading to it, AND..... three absolutely dashing young men that we just happened to run into on the beach.
Usually, we don't put pictures of dudes on our website, but these three were just way too gorgeous to omit. We hear that the one in the middle was still fighting a savage case of food poisoning, but he still looks pretty damn good to me.After the Maya Beach trip, we had another beach day. All in all, pretty uneventful, but Nevin did manage to scrape up his foot pretty bad on a rock, therefore taking him out of the activities for a while. Don't worry parents, he's just fine, and will still be rock climbing with us tomorrow, whether he likes it or not. Don't worry, some of you may think that rock climbing is dangerous, but it isn't close to as dangerous as the stuff we did today. (I'm actually just saying all this to freak the parents out, so don't worry if you aren't one of the mentioned parties.)
So anyways, after a day of sitting around and getting adequately fried by our good friend the sun, we decided to spice it up a bit today and get a bit more adventurous. Since Nevin was MIA, Mike and I rented snorkels and took off at 7 in the morning to try and catch a sight of some sharks over on a different beach. Unluckily, we were a bit late, and didn't actually see any. We were lucky enough, however, to get pulled around by currents pretty well. Considering how low on energy I was, and the fact that it was horrendously early in the morning, I was contemplating just letting the tide carry me wherever it was going.
We came back to the beach after that, and enjoyed a little breakfast, and a little book reading, and a little sleeping, on a relatively secluded beach. We walked back around 10:30 to find Nevin laying in bed still, reading his book. We thought he was pretty lazy, until he informed us that just that morning, he got up right after us, and went on a 10 kilometer run on his hands, since his foot hurt too much.Since Nevin couldn't snorkel, that obviously also took him out of.... CLIFF JUMPING. I was game for this since we first got to the island. This might have something to do with my level of dangerous stupidity as compared to the other two, but we're really not sure. Mike decided that he would be up for it though, so we booked the trip for the afternoon. I know the parents are probably thinking how stupid we are right at this instant, but if it's any consolation, it was one of the funnest things we've done yet.
They warm you up and gradually get you built up to the tall stuff. The height of the cliffs we jumped: 8m, 10m, 15m, and... 20m. The last one was pretty insane. You look down, thinking that you should have hit the water a while ago, and yet, you still have quite a while to drop. Sorry to say that the camera ran out of batteries, so we don't have much for pictures, really only one of Mike and I climbing on the rocks, but we did buy a DVD, so you can all dazzle at our recklessness once we get home. It was crazy being in freefall for that long.

I wish the video had sound, because at one point on the climb up, you could hear Mike saying, "I think this is one of the stupidest things we've done." There's also the look on his face before he takes his first jump. I must say, it's pretty priceless.
So that's what we've done for danger in the last little while. Tomorrow, rock climbing is one the menu, and after that, we're going to take off to Phang Nga bay, to see James Bond island, and some other pretty impressive sights. We'll be sure to keep you updated on our whereabouts as our trip winds down. It's hard to believe we really only have 15 days left. I know you're probably hoping that we're all really looking forward to coming home, but it's gonna be hard to leave this place.
Oh, I also updated my list of things I want to eat when I get home:

-Steak
-Roast Beef dinner
-dill pickles
-dill pickle chips with dill pickle dip
-kraft dinner
-boston pizza caesar salad
-taco time
-taco bell
-donair pizza
-Duke's donair
-Luke's favourite Chicken (My mom knows what I'm talking about.)
-Pedamini
-Apparently... Banderra Pizza Bread
-Kokanee
Also, the fire picture may seem like it's coming out of nowhere, but with any luck, that's what we should look like when we light those flaming balls that we bought on fire. It was taken at a place called Apache Bar here on the island. They have a nightly fire show, and there's even a couple of 12 year old kids that get up there and start winging fire around. It's pretty impressive. I might bring my camera tonight and try to get a video of it.

7 Comments:
I'm so sorry nevin missed the cliff jumping I might of just faked a injury
I'm so sorry nevin missed the cliff jumping I might of just faked a injury
Lucas......nice to hear your voice today. Good to see the adventure is still there and people are healthy, albeit Nevin's scrape, Mike's fever and your stomach. Food list looks interesting. I don't think this will show up on the Canada Food Guide for returning tourists. From my perspective the climb to cliff jump looks just as hairy as the jumping. It goes without saying to take care with the rock climbing. Trip to Cambodia should be an eye opener especially as you travel to the "killing fields". The movie story was graphic enough for me and it should seriously raise your consciousness of the frail line man walks between compassion and atrocity towards humanity. As you boys start to wind down and consider possible momemtos and artifacts to bring home, consider bringing back items that capture the people, culture and landscapes you encountered. They become very meaningful in rejuvenating the memory banks as you gaze out on a frozen Alberta landscape in mid-January. Take care and keep up the blog. Ciao!
I'm with you Erin... three hotties on a beach! Who wouldn't want that as their background?! I'm partial to the one on the left ;)
Hey guys greetings from brighton...over here for my graduation...
liking the sound of the cliff jump pretty cool but luke at the beginning of the blog you did make it sound that something serious had happened to one of ye!
glad to hear that ye are all in one piece...!and no bruises!
btw you never made the connection to the movie...was the cliff ye jumped the one they did in the movie?
also sorry to hear that youve been ill luke...it sucks i know.!
keep enjoying the trip.
Marie
Hey Luke, I object to your comment about the parents probably not seeing the movie "The Beach". Are you kidding? Do you think we live with our heads in the sand? Just kidding, but I couldn't let it go. Sounds like you guys are having a hoot. Talk to you when you get home.
2D of 3D
2D,
sorry, didn't mean to take a shot at everyone. Pretty much just saying didn't expect my parents to see the beach. Not really their type of movie. Hope no harm was done to anyone else.
Post a Comment
<< Home