Day 80: Secret Agent Men
Wow, can't believe it's day 80. We've been here over 11 weeks. Okay, maybe I can believe it. There's certain signs that one has been in Thailand for that long:- it doesn't seem to matter what strength of sunscreen you use, you don't burn, peel, or even change colour...but we're trying.
- you don't sweat 24 hours a day
- you don't eat McDonald's because you miss home, you do it to get your bowel movements back on track
- you're on your 4th, 5th, or even 6th Tom Clancy novel
Yeah, we're almost experienced veterans...too bad we can't speak the language at all.
Anyway, the last couple days have brought us some amazing experiences. Friday morning we caught a tuk tuk to a port beside Phang Nga. It doesn't open up onto the sea but dumps you out onto the complicated maze of rivers, side streams, and caves through
the limestone islands. The vegetation is mostly mangrove trees which seem perfectly suited for this environment. As the tide comes in and out the soil gets flooded with salt water. Navigating the canals is crazy though. If our driver had jumped ship I think we would have been in trouble driving the longtail boat. With Seadoos though...this place would rock.
The first place he took us a place called Kong Island where he drove the boat into a completely enclosed bay (think a miniature Maya bay with no beach). Nice break from the waves. Next we motored over to an island with a long cave. Who every thought of the word "spelunking" anyway? We were armed with flipflops and flashlights (2 out of 3 worked) but still managed to do some good exploring.Next was lunch at a small beach on yet another island. We ate rice
with shrimp and pineapple and took some time to throw the frisbee. Nevin and Luke had a tough time; injuring their feet on the rocky bottom. Who would have thought that I'd be the twinkle-toes one of the group? My mom sure wouldn't.After that we hit the highlight island of the area, James Bond Island. I've seen the movie (The Man With The Golden Gun) but I
never really paid attention to the setting. This was definitely familiar. We took lots of pictures and explored the caves. The vendors were selling all kinds of necklaces and bracelets but, oddly, no bootlegged copies of the Bond movie.Our last stop of the day was the floating village. It is not actually floating but is built up on stilts over the water. They've done a good job because when the tide comes in the water level is right up to the walkways. Our guesthouse was built right against the cliff of the island the village is attached too.
It's still mostly a fishing community but they do have the regular tourist stalls set up everywhere. These old ladies must be lonely because they really hassle you to buy their pearls and shells.We ate dinner with the other guests, older couples from Belgium and France. My french skills got a real workout. I understood
about a third of their conversations. Luke caught the odd phrase but Nevin had to just sit and nod his head politely. They had just come from Cambodia and had lots of advice to pass on. I think we'll be well prepared for our visit.The next morning we took another longtail boat back to the port, tuk tuk to Phang Nga, quick call to my youngest brother, Peter, in Montana to wish him a happy 16th birthday, bus to Phuket, McDonald's, taxi to Kata Beach (see map), and a final walk down to the water. It'd only been a couple days but we were really ready for another beach day. The water here is much clearer than Patong
and the beach is nicer. Better town too, I'd recommend this over Patong for sure.Lucky we got our sun in yesterday, today the weather has just switched between raining hard and raining really hard. Guess it's a good day for internet stuff but makes me wonder why we bought all that sunscreen last night.

10 Comments:
hi just got home from brent& megans dance had fun. Ran out to check the rain gauge where we got 1.5 tenths & got sprayed by a skunk. I,m not to populure with any one here.nice post again.
Lucas....just got back from the Meyer Family Reunion in Wainwright. Good times. Weather was good until we started to head towards Edmonton. Rained hard. Planning on a weekend at Lake Isle..painting the cabin. Roof is next. Cukes are ready for pickling...good eating ahead!Nice to see you boys were able to look and explore the limestone caves. Nice to see Mike's grasp of the french language helped you tap into some of the latest tourist info on Cambodia. It should be a great leg to your trip. Here is hoping the weather is going to get sunny and keep using the sunscreen. Take care.
Lucas, just spent a week at the lake, sat around in 33C heat ( I bet this is cool where your at). spoke to your mom and I will be making the Plemmenie ( I think it's high time we all learnt how to spell those "Hamburgers" in noodle dough. I can't believe your down to your last two weeks. Enjoy, this trip is a lifetime of memories
Take care, all of you
Aunty Linda
Mr. C, you give me too much credit. I'm afraid the advice they gave us was all in English. I don't remember THAT much. Determined to learn when I get home though.
Good to see you guys are still alive and kicking- just a heads up though. I kinda forget the actual day you guys are getting back, but Wakeboard Nationals are in Edmonton (Shalom Park) this year from Aug. 25-27. Sounds like it might be worth a trip...
-Kevin
Just got back from a month of camp, im tired, but loved it once again. Just got caught up on all your adventures. Excited to see you boys again soon. Not too long now!
Dana
Luke,
Your brother is now a wakeboarder........one of the greatest sports ever...next to golf. Managed to rip around the lake and tried hard to hurt myself. One of the girls that was with us got cut for 13 zippers when she caught the front edge and managed to eat the board....luckily I'm not flexible enough for shenanigans like that. Camped in the rain Crutchfield style and even ripped the tent down when it was pouring.....just like old times. Briar and I are in final training for the half Marathon on the 13th so the cramping should be in full effect when we see you at the airport. Keep the pictures snapping.........looking forward to seeing you again.
Adam,
That's awesome that you finally got up. Didn't use my board to try and kill yourself did ya?
You're going to have to come to Montana with us some time now.
Hey Mike...did you know that Travis Lundberg just got married last Saturday? Just thought I would let you know incase you hadn't heard. Him and his new bride are actually going to Bali and then indonesia on their honeymoon! Keep safe and have fun!
-Kristen
I saw Travis a few times this last year at school, usually hockey games. I knew he was getting married this summer but didn't know which weekend. That's great though. Hope he enjoys his honeymoon, it's beautiful down here. Sad I'm going home in less than 2 weeks.
Post a Comment
<< Home